The other night I realized I need a fresh start. Kind of like a “spring cleaning”, except for my life. I’ve been feeling really stressed and overwhelmed lately, particularly about school and the terrifying unknown I’m about to face once I graduate. I’ve been using this stress as an excuse to neglect my exercise routine and indulge in unhealthy foods that I normally wouldn’t eat. Don’t get me wrong – once in a while we need to take a night off to just sit around in our pj’s and do nothing. But I feel like I’ve spent too many nights doing this… too many nights where I’ll say, “The gym can wait ’til tomorrow.”
A couple of nights ago, after I got home from what seemed like a never-ending day of classes, I headed up to my room ready to spend another night with my best friends: Pinterest and a glass of red wine (ha ha). I happened to glance around my room and noticed what a mess it was. Clothes and shoes strewn everywhere… books from my university days sitting on the floor, instead of on the bookshelf that I promised myself I would buy almost a year ago… sheets and pillows piled in a clump on my bed – no wonder I feel like everything is a disaster right now!
It’s time to make some changes. I’ve been so hung up on trying to find a job that I’ve started to lose sight of what’s actually important to me. The fact that I’m fed up with school also isn’t helping (only two more weeks…). I’ve decided I need to stop worrying so much about the future and concentrate on what’s best for me right NOW. And right now, what I need is a fresh start and a clear mind. So, I’ve set some new goals for myself:
- CLEAN MY ROOM. I need to be surrounded by a fresh environment if I’m going to clear my mind!
- Meditate EVERY DAY, even if it’s just for 5 minutes. Meditation can be more effective than you think.
- Do some form of physical activity EVERY DAY, whether it be going to the gym, doing yoga, or simply going for a walk.
- CLEAN EATING as much as possible! I like the idea of starting every day with a fresh, homemade smoothie. I’m curious to try Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green Smoothie. I’m also super excited for the local farmer’s markets to start back up again, now that summer is approaching!
- Read more books! Ideally I would like to read one per week, but if we’re being realistic, I’ll aim for one every 2-3 weeks ;) I’ve got several books on vegetarianism and healthy eating in mind that I’m eager to start!
- Complete my Nutrition & Wellness Specialist certification with CanFitPro – job or no job! This is something I’ve been considering for a while now. Over the past year I’ve become much more passionate about nutrition and paying attention to the things I’m eating. Right now I’m aiming to take the Toronto course being offered in mid-June! If anyone has done this course already, I would love to hear from you!
I’m going to start with these goals for now because they’re relatively simple and comprehensive. I’ve got my nutrition, physical activity, stress management, and intellectual wellness covered! Hopefully this lifestyle cleanse will bring about more good things and positive energy. One good thing has already happened since writing this post – I just won a coffee in Roll Up The Rim :)
What are some new goals you’ve set for yourself recently?
Start Fresh, Stay Positive, and Be Well xo